Pages

Thursday, May 27, 2010

CPL 2.0 - Tweet, Twitter and Time Wasting

• Armed with a bit of knowledge about what Twitter is all about, share your thoughts on this fast growing online phenomenon.OR • What kind of information is being posted by the library accounts above? What kind of information should libraries post?Note: you don't have to sign up to Twitter to complete this exercise.

My first impression is that people need real hobbies and to get out for a walk and/or one-on-one talk with their friends instead of spending their free time anonymously exchanging trivial and sometimes angry conversation. They have far too much time on their hands, however I do not have enough time to be following everything that we have been asked to sign-up for/look in to. To be honest, all of the social media we have been looking at are starting to blur in my mind.

I appreciate that twitter would be interesting to the public, as so many people travel at the speed of gossip, but at this point I feel that Twitter is redundant. By that I mean that each of these social media phenomenon such as Twitter, Facebook and other social media are starting to look the same. They are all trying to captivate the same audience.

That said, I understand why the library would like to have information in this forum as that is where the teens and techy people are.

I had, at one point signed up for Twitter and have since left it

1 comment:

  1. Out of curiosity I asked my 16 year old what he thought of Twitter. He said it is a real waste of time. He told me that he has even come to dislike texting and prefers to talk to his friends...he says he is worried about what his generation will do to their kids...he said they will not know how to communicate in person at all. An interesting perspective from the next geration I think.

    Perhaps we should not be so quick to push these social media solutions to our avid readers, especially the young ones. Give books and people a chance in person I say!!!

    ReplyDelete